Thursday, January 12, 2012

Frankie's Pizza

Having done a piece on Arbetter's Hot Dog stand, I couldn't fail to also do one on Frankie's Pizza shop that has been in the same spot on Bird Road and 91st Street for over 55 years, just a few blocks away from Arbettter's. Now I consider myself a bit of a pizza expert having sampled all types throughout years of my travels in the USA and Italy. I also lived many years in NYC where some of the best pie in the US can be sampled on many different forms. Frankie's is the thin crust square pan type, one that folks in the northeastern part of the US will instantly recognize. If you're a deep dish pizza lover like Chicago style, this may not be your favorite, but if you like thin crispy crust lighter style pizza, Frankie's is one of the best in town and maybe in the top ten for the entire USA. I admit that since I grew up in the Shenandoah area of Miami, we mostly hung out and ate pizza at the old Pizza Palace on SW 8th Street and 31st Avenue, but in high school I did hit Frankie's up anytime we went to the Bird Bowl bowling alley or to a high school game that took us in that direction. Frank and Doreen Pasquarella came from Ohio and opened the original Frankie’s Famous Pizza in South Miami in 1955. Two years later, they moved their pizza shop to a small grocery store located on Bird Road. Back then, that area was like the wild west with practically no other shops around and some folks riding horses in the early morning hours. Frankie's is still run by Frankie’s daughters Renee and Roxanne Pasquarella and it looks identical to what it looked like in the early 60's when I first went there. It's a little hole-in-the-wall place that the minute you step inside you feel like you stepped back in time 40 years! If you decide to take a trip back in time, just remember that it is closed mondays and is a cash only joint.

6 comments:

Xavier said...

Best Pizza in the City!

Sparroweye said...

In 1951/52 we lived with my Grandparents at 2351 S.W. 15th st. I was five and went to the first Shenandoah lottery kindergarten. I just remember I thought I'd be in the same class as our neighbors boy Grant Hastings. And when I wasn't, I cried. Then we moved and I went to South Miami Elementary. We moved again, not far from Frankies pizza. I was there recently. They still put the little sample on the top of the order. And it still tastes homemade and just melts in your mouth. And Frankies daughter was working that day and I got her picture.

Dave said...

Sparroweye: I too grew up in the Shenandoah area near your grandparents and went to elementary school there through third grade. Mrs. Hatfield was the Principal at the school and wielded a mean paddle if you misbehaved (which I did all too frequently!)I only discovered Frankie's while in High School as I lived pretty far from it but it was a popular hangout after HS football games. The original couple that owned it were very sweet and put up with our hijinks. God bless them!

Sparroweye said...

Well, Frankies is still in the family. Roxanne, his daughter runs it now. Let me see if I can find the photograph of her. Roxanne. http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=393656712194&set=a.393650042194.196193.589812194&type=3&theater The Box http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=393656717194&set=a.393650042194.196193.589812194&type=3&theater Yum Pizza. http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=393656742194&set=a.393650042194.196193.589812194&type=3&theater Ben and Candace Fuller in front of Frankies Pizza 2007

Laureen W said...

We still go there and get a half baked and take it home about once a week. Love your blog page!

goldie said...

I'm glad someone took the time to praise Frankies, I agree with you saying it may very well be in the top 10 in the country. I,ve ate these pies all my life and pitty those who will never get the chance to.